It would be great if a vehicle just went on and on forever, but unfortunately they are all subject to wear and tear, particularly if your mileage is high or you are driving in adverse weather conditions.
But there are things you can do to slow the deterioration of your vehicle. This is known as preventative maintenance. If done properly, it will help to prolong the life of your vehicle, reduce the chance of any serious problems arising, and decrease your overall running costs.
Sound like a win-win situation? We think so!
What Is Preventative Maintenance?
So, what does preventative maintenance entail? Basically, it means checking various components of your vehicle to see whether they need to be replaced, cleaned or topped up (depending on the type of component.)
The best place to start is your owner’s manual, which will advise how often each preventative maintenance task needs to be performed. You can do these yourself, or you can ask a mechanic to carry out a service for you.
What Preventative Maintenance Should I Be Doing?
A vehicle is a complex piece of machinery, so you could spend hours checking every single element. Unless you’re a petrol-head, this probably won’t sound like much fun. If so, we recommend you focus on following preventative maintenance:
- Changing your engine oil regularly
- Checking the tread on your tires and replacing them when the tread is worn
- Getting your tires aligned, rotated and balanced
- Checking the levels of your brake fluid, engine oil, coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid and windshield washer fluid, and topping them up as necessary
- Checking your timing and serpentine belts are in good condition, and replacing them when they begin to look worn, or when your owner’s manual advises
- Checking if your cabin air filter and engine air filter are dirty, and replacing them if so
- Checking your spark plugs are in good condition, and replacing them if they are worn
- Keeping the outside of the vehicle clean to prevent rust
There are other things you can do to keep your vehicle in tip-top condition. But these suggestions are a great starting point and will help you save money in the long-run.
Book A Service Appointment
If you don’t feel confident performing these preventative maintenance tasks yourself, you can always book your vehicle in for a service at Integra Tire.
Book An Appointment And You Will Be Entered In Our Monthly Draw
If you book a service appointment this month you will also be entered in our monthly draw for a chance to win a $100 gift certificate at Spa Utopia. This can be used towards a manicure, pedicure, facial or body wrap.