When should you replace your wiper blades?
If your windshield wiper blades leave streaks and smears, or if they scrape and chatter even when there is plenty of moisture on the glass, you could need new wiper blades. If in bad weather you find yourself ducking and dodging your head like a boxer to see out your windshield, you could need new wiper blades.
Let your eyes and common sense dictate when to change wiper blades. Wiper blades should be able to easily clear water, snow and slush. This is especially true if you live in an area where salt is used on the roads because dried salt can practically make a windshield opaque. If you pull a wiper arm away from the windshield, you might find tears or cracks in the wiper blade — other signs they need replacement.
Before you replace the wiper blades, though, try wiping them clean with a damp cloth or paper towel, and make sure the blade sits snugly on the glass. Sometimes just lifting the arm off the glass and letting it snap back into place will make the blades seat more snugly on the glass and work better.
Wiper blades are inexpensive, and at Integra Tire North Vancouver we will install them at no charge, so when in doubt, do it now — before you need new ones. If you own an SUV, minivan or hatchback, check the rear-window wiper blade as well.
- Wayne’s Shop Story: Out of Integra-ty and Aligned with Integra-ty. March 14, 2017
- Air Conditioning and Your Car – Cool Advice! August 23, 2016
- Is Your Car Keeping It’s Cool August 1, 2016
- 5 Ways To Have A Safe Roadtrip This Summer July 1, 2016
- Summer Road Trip June 1, 2016
- Best Road Trip Apps May 1, 2016
- Winter Tires on Yet November 24, 2014
- When should you replace your wiper blades? Oct 20, 2014
- 10 reasons to store your all-season tires heading into winter! October 3, 2014
- Can you see me? September 15, 2014
- Hit The Road With A Summer Emergency Kit July 30, 2014